Sunday, June 13, 2010

Martha Stewart Dutch Oven

I have to show off my latest kitchen purchase. It’s a Martha Stewart 5.5 quart enamel cast iron round casserole. I would say that it’s more like a Dutch oven, but who am I to argue with the Queen herself.


The other day at Macy’s, I was on my way to the down escalator when I came face to face with a 50% sale on these babies. That is a mega deal because they are really expensive cookware. I have wanted one of these probably ever since I began watching Martha Stewart years ago. I could never justify the expense because as most of you know, I don’t spend a lot of time cooking. But with 50% off, I figured I could go ahead and get what I wanted. Now I can cook my roasts in a pan with a lid that fits.


Pictured here is a roast with onion and bell peppers slow cooking over low heat for approximately 3 - 4 hours. The recipe: Season any boneless roast (not prime rib) with pepper and Mrs. Dash. Add chopped bell peppers (1 green and 2 red), a chopped white onion, add enough water to reach the top of the roast and cook over low heat. Check periodically to be sure the roast does not dry out. Typically, after a few hours, the water will begin to cook off fast, add more water as needed to keep from drying out. I usually add 1 cup and let that cook down, adding more as necessary until the meat, onion and pepper mix begins to caramelize on the bottom. The meat should also be shredding fairly well. Serve with potatoes and salad or your favorite sides.

Simple and bursting with flavor.

3 comments:

Andrea Rooks said...

Yummy yummy yummy -- the pot and the roast!!! It's a good thing we don't have a Macy's closer than 30 miles from here otherwise I'd rush out and buy on ASAP. I'm so glad you got it, and I'm sure it will serve you well for many years to come...

Donna said...

First of all...DUTCH OVEN HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Second... I'm so JEALOUS! I WANT ONE!

Anonymous said...

I think you are embracing your Martha side again. However, that does look very yummy. When's dinner?